Docker Desktop for Linux, Extensions and more with the latest v4.8.2 release
Here are the major highlights:
- Docker Desktop for various Linux distributions made available for the first time. DEB, RPM and Arch packages available for download.
- Includes a New Docker Engine 20.10.14
- The New Docker Compose v2.5.1 is available
- Docker Extensions are now available in beta to extend Docker Desktop's capabilities. Now you can install popular extensions to integrate your favorite tools for scanning, debugging, Kubernetes, and more. Or use the [Extensions SDK] (docs.docker.com/desktop/extensions-sdk) to build new functionality into Docker Desktop.
- The new homepage on the Docker Dashboard lets you run popular images and discover how to use them.
When you update to the latest version of Docker Desktop, you’ll be able to one-click run four of the most popular Docker Official Images to help you tackle common challenges faced when using containers. The best part about the new homepage? You finally have a clear path to run your first image without leaving Docker Desktop and being sent to the CLI.
- Kubernetes v1.24 is included in Docker Desktop, removing dependency on dockershim.
Docker Desktop includes Kubernetes, optimized and tuned for a fast, distraction-free developer experience. Docker team tracks upstream Kubernetes changes and manage Kubernetes upgrades so developers can focus on their code rather than cluster administration. In the recent 4.7.0 release Docker team already switched Kubernetes from “dockershim” to “cri-dockerd”.
Check out this blog to learn more.
This release also included bug fixes and minor changes such as:
- Fixed an issue with manual proxy settings which caused problems when pulling images. Fixes docker/for-win#12714 and docker/for-mac#6315.
- Fixed high CPU usage when extensions are disabled. Fixes docker/for-mac#6310.
- Docker Desktop now redacts HTTP proxy passwords in log files and diagnostics.
Did you find this article valuable?
Support Collabnix by becoming a sponsor. Any amount is appreciated!